7 June 2013

National Donut Day



Today, My friends, is national donut day! (as its a largely American tradition I'm spelling it the yank way, I'm culturally sensitive like that :P) and actually has a nicer origin than you might expect - not just a marketing creation of Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts!

National Donut Day started in 1938 as a fundraiser for Chicago’s Salvation Army, and now falls on the first Friday of June every year. The goal was to help the needy during the Great Depression, and to honour The Salvation Army 'Lassies' who had served donuts to soldiers during World War I and would continue to do so when American troops were sent to Europe to fight in World War II.

To celebrate the occasion many American donut stores offer free donuts.

For my own celebration, I'll be going to Baths own American Museum they are hosting a fun day tomorrow and I intend to dress up in my finest war era glam, enjoy the sunshine and festivities, enjoy a donut or two and think of the women who brightened the days of many a soldier with a little care, a smile and a sugary treat. Well done Girls.







XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment