I've been having real trouble recently sleeping -which is very frustrating - I'm tired, exhausted often from exercise and yet am having real trouble sleeping at night -I'll usually go to bed around 11:00/12:00 but wont be able to drop off until 2 or 3 and then wake up again at 4. I've had the usual advice from people, mainly that I might drink too much coffee - I usually have 2 or 3 but none after 15:00 - so that's annoying, but its possible I'm just very sensitive to it (how lame of me)
I did a bit of googling today and have found some interesting tips
- Take it easy on the caffeine. Either eliminate it or limit to morning only. The effects of caffeine last for 9 hours, so you do the math.
- Have a bedtime ritual that is calming. You could read before bed, plan your day for tomorrow, write in your journal, meditate, listen to soothing music, or anything else that helps your mind to slow down.
- Turn off the TV at least 30 minutes before bedtime. TV is a stimulant so establish a routine that helps you turn it off. You’ll fall asleep better.
- Listen to your body. If you feel tired, go to bed. Don’t torture your self by not getting enough sleep.
- Listen to your mind. If there is something on your mind before bed time, write about it in a notebook or talk to someone about it. Come up with solutions that you can work on tomorrow.
- Build a habit of daily meditation. This will help increase the overall level of calm in your mind allowing you to get to sleep easier and stay asleep.
In a fit of desperation I also bought some Valerian root tablets from Holland & Barrett - I can't say I've noticed a difference but I thought some natural remedies might be useful so I also looked up some foods that might help: