21 October 2013

30 things I have learnt in the last 30 Years??

I was inspired by this post to make a 'what I have learnt' a list of my own. A slightly different premise as I think its negative to say "If only I had known this when I was 21" because frankly, there's nothing I can do about that now!

The idea was to look at 30 things my last 30 years has given me... (except I got bored by 16, maybe I'll throw some more in at a later date!) .

1) It really is possible to run a half marathon - who knew??! but 1 year ago I thought the idea was ludicrous and could not comprehend how it was possible. Now, having completed the gruelling 12 miles of Tough Mudder, I know I will be able to take on the Bath Half.

2) Go to university. This one perhaps is very personal to me, as many would argue whether its worth the high fees, and if you'd even get a decent job at the end. But it was to date, the best time of my life and I wouldn't give up the experience for the world.

3) Make Lists: Well I would say this wouldn't I?! but I often see this as a tip for a more productive/happy life is to have your goals somewhere where you can see them regularly.

4) A recent gem from this post "always remember that, nine times out of ten, you probably aren’t having a full-on nervous breakdown – you just need a cup of tea and a biscuit" I have found this often in the last year as my job has reached new levels of stressfullness, that when I get home to just have some guacamole and nachos, and go to bed -the world is better in the morning. Nachos are my tea and biscuits...but you get the idea!

5) One more from the same post "Never love someone whom you think you need to mend – or who makes you feel like you should be mended. There are boys out there who look for shining girls; they will stand next to you and say quiet things in your ear that only you can hear and that will slowly drain the joy out of your heart. The books about vampires are true, baby. Drive a stake through their hearts and run away."

6)  Make a cleaning rota - having lived in shared houses for years and no on my own, I cannot stress this one enough. Essential for co-habiting harmony and creating non-hovels, and generally clear house =clear mind.

7) In some small way, every day, make each day count - as I say in this post even if all I achieve in a day is to get a little fitter, or apply for a job, or do the laundry. Well, that's something!



8) Make Mistakes, and not to be afraid to make them. Author Neil Gaiman puts it much better than I could:

" I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
 
Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.
 
So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
 
Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes."
 
9) READ
10) Put on your gym clothes. I know you don't feel like it, but just lace up your running trainers.....
11) Along the same lines: find a exercise you love, do it with friends, have fun!
12) Be nice, this doesn't mean be weak, or be a pushover or don't be opinionated - on the contrary in fact, the real skill is being these things whilst still being nice. Always be nice, because so many can't manage it, we need to show them how its done.
13) Be grateful for your friends - they have chosen you despite your failings and stuck by you, not something to be overlooked. My best friends describe me kindly as 'delightfully bonkers' instead of my foes, who just consider me weird.
14) Create something - cakes, crafts, novels, blogs, music - doesn't matter what you create but DO create. After days sat at a desk, to create something tangible soothes me.
15) Throw away your TV - Seriously. When I tell people I'm an events coordinator by day, a trustee for the RSPCA, a WI member, training to be a yoga teacher, training for half marathons, attend crossfit 4 times a week, cook up stews for my lunch etc I always get the question 'how do you find the time?' the answer 'I don't have a TV'.
16) Go to the Cinema - cos don't get me wrong, I still love a good film, and a good story :)

XXX
 

No comments:

Post a Comment